Brahmani Mata Mandir-Sorsan-Baran:
Sorsan is a Village in Anta Tehsil in Baran District and located 26 KM towards from District Baran, 27 KM from Anta and 254 KM from Jaipur. Khajoorna Kalan, Jainagar, Begna, Barwa, Ratawad are the nearby Villages and Baran , Mangrol , Kota , Jhalawar are the nearby Cities to Sorsan. Sorsan Pin code is 325202 and postal head office is Anta.
There are many places of pilgrimage in Rajasthan, but the pilgrimage site of Sorsan is special. A 700 years old ancient temple, known as Brahmani Mata Mandir is located at a distance of 28 km from Baran in Sorsan village.
The temple is located in the old fort and is surrounded by tall perches. It can also be called a cave temple. Two of the temple’s three entrances are artistic. The main entrance is facing east. The Devi Temple situated in the middle of the complex has a dome gate pavilion and a sanctum sanctorum. The door frame of the sanctum sanctorum is 5 x 7 inches size, but the entrance is only 3 x 2.5 feet. It can be entered only by bending and bowing to the diety, so the priests worship only by bowing down. There is a huge rock in the sanctum of the temple. The stone statue of the cosmic mother sits on the step post in the rock.
Worhshipping Back Part of Diety:
Its main feature is that instead of worshiping the obverse, it is worshiped on the back. This is the first temple perhaps in the world where the back part of the Goddess Deity is worshiped. Here only the back of the Goddess is adorned and the Bhog is also applied to the Back or Peeth and the visiting devotees visit the Peeth. The locals call it Peeth Puja. Vermillion is applied daily on the back of the Goddess statue and adorned with Kaner flower leaves. The goddess is offered the famous ‘Dal-Baati’ as prasad regularly.
Lamp which is Continuously lit for past 400 years!
The amazing thing is that the temple has a lamp which is burning continuously for past 400 years. People have deep faith in this region towards the Mother Goddess, people come here and ask for a vow or want some of their desire to be fulfilled or also called mannat, and when the vow or mannat is accomplished – God’s Cradle, umbrella or any other object is offered in the temple.
The descendants of Khokharji have been worshiped in the temple since the time when Brahmani Mata appeared here and was pleased with the Khoshar Gaur Brahmin of Sorsan. In the tradition, members of a Gujarati family have the right to recite Saptashati, members of the Rao Bhat family of the Meenas play the drums.
There is also a famous ‘Donkey Festival’ that is organized once a year on the occasion of Shivaratri at the temple of Sorsan Brahmani Mata. Previously, donkeys were brought from many states in this fair. Now, with the changing times, there is less buying of donkeys and more horse-trading in the garb fair held here.
Needs up gradation to make it a tourist spot:
Despite being a historical site, it is not being looked after. The lake situated near the temple remains deserted. There are no special arrangements for the tourists. The waterfalls flowing at this place are heavily crowded with tourists during the rainy days. By introducing boating, this place can be made more attractive for tourists but there is no attention is being paid to it.
Brahmani Mata Mandir,
Sorsan, Dist: Baran,
- How to reach Sorsan, Baran:
- By air:
- Jaipur Airport is connected to major cities of India by air
- By Road:
Baran is connected to many cities of the state like Jaipur, Ajmer, Kota, and other roads of Uttar Pradesh, Delhi in the country. Regular bus services private and government are available to the city of Baran.
- Jaipur- Baran, Sorsan: Kota Rd : 6 h 53 min (308 km)
- This route has tolls.
- By Train:
Baran railway station is connected to major parts of the country by regular trains. Trains to Bhopal, Jaipur, Jodhpur and Kota are regularly available from this railway station. From the railway station you can reach the Brahmani Mata temple with the help of a taxi or bus.
- Ahmedabad to Baran Trains distance is around 614 kms (approx 9 hrs by road).
- Delhi to Baran Trains distance is around 528 kms (approx 9 hrs by road).
- Gurgaon to Baran Trains distance is around 498 kms (approx 9 hrs by road).
- Kolkata to Baran Trains distance is around 1469 kms (approx 20 hrs by road).
- Gwalior to Baran Trains distance is around 273 kms (approx 5 hrs by road).
- Jaipur to Baran Trains distance is around 294 kms (approx 6 hrs by road).
- Ujjain to Baran Trains distance is around 254 kms (approx 5 hrs by road).
- Bhopal to Baran Trains distance is around 270 kms (approx 7 hrs by road).
- Indore to Baran Trains distance is around 309 kms (approx 6 hrs by road).
- Agra to Baran Trains distance is around 364 kms (approx 7 hrs by road).
- Udaipur to Baran Trains distance is around 356 kms (approx 6 hrs by road).
- Aligarh to Baran Trains distance is around 448 kms (approx 9 hrs by road).
- Faridabad to Baran Trains distance is around 520 kms (approx 9 hrs by road).
- Jodhpur to Baran Trains distance is around 451 kms (approx 8 hrs by road).
- Noida to Baran Trains distance is around 540 kms (approx 10 hrs by road).
Hotels in Baran:
- Baran Rajasthan Sorsan mataji Baran/ blog-2
- ज़ी न्यूज़ डेस्क: राम मेहता
- राजस्थान न्यूज
- Courtesy : baran.nic.in
If you have any information or photographs related to Sorsan, Baran, Brahmani Mata or of any other temple on this website, kindly share with us. We will update the information and the credit will duly be given to you. The purpose of this site is to present all the information about Brahmani Mata Temple in India in one place to ease search and information for her devotees or Bhakts in India and abroad.